Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Retired Gymnast

I like to refer to myself as a retired gymnast rather than saying I quit. Saying I quit sounds like I gave up.

It was all a really hard decision. It all started towards the end of fourth grade. I went to the gym four days a week from 4:00 to 7:00. It was all very tiring. I barely finished my homework everyday, and on top of that, I didn't have any time to play with my siblings.

I thought it would all be better for fifth grade because I would start homeschooling. It just made it worse. I would be playing and all of a sudden my mom would be calling for me to get ready. I only got to eat with my family on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. The state meet was in May, but I never ended up doing it.

For as long as I did gymnastics, the thing I hated the most was the meets. Everyone else loves them, but I was always delighted when it was over. They were also very long. A normal meet is about four hours. Including the awards it was like an extra thirty minutes.

When I ''retired'', I was a level 5. That level was when the hard stuff came. Like jumping from the low bar to the high bar, or cartwheels on the beam. It all sounds so easy, but trust me, it isn't.

Here are some pictures of my past days as a gymnast:

Although I miss it sometimes, I'm still very happy with the decision I made.

6 comments:

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah said...

I love your well-written posts, Emma!

I am glad you gave it up too!
(Hey I made another comment on this post you did but it was signed in on mom so I deleted it. If you see the comment deleted thing it was me.)

~Hannah

Anonymous said...

Hey Emma! I love your posts. You looked like you were really good at gymnastics!

~Anna Westerfield(Hannah's firend)

Unknown said...

You like your sister in those pictures~

Kid

Anonymous said...

I used to do gymnastics also! I quit form pretty much the same reason. I was only in level 3 though.

Unknown said...

It sounds like a hard thing to give up. I gave up Ice Skating too a couple of years ago. It was a hard decision to make. I was starting to do loops and major jumps when I stopped. It THINK I was a level 6, but it was son long a go I can't remember.

Kid